Friday, May 18, 2007

Christy's rambling, rambling, rambling

Sorry for this late post. There must be something in the water here in Georgia. I hope Missy's daughter is feeling better. Luckily we are all well at the Smith house. . .

For the last couple of days, I've been thinking of things to post about. But everything on my heart is kind of heavy. Those things include issues my friends are going through, illnesses with their children, Autism and CHARGE syndrome. A couple of days ago I received news that a good friend is leaving my church. All cause me to have a heavy heart and I want to address them some day. But I can't today. I'm praying about it now, but not ready to discuss anything.

So today we'll keep it lighthearted. It's a beautiful day in North Georgia. We need more rain, but hopefully the Lord will bless us with the rain we need so we won't be under too tight of watering restrictions and our lakes won't be pulled down so low.

I started today off at two a.m. when I woke up in the recliner. I'd fallen asleep trying to get my daughter to sleep. Bleary eyed, I put her to bed. I've already learned one thing I'm not going to do with my next child and that's to hold them until they fall asleep. Because then I end up falling asleep first and wondering why my left arm won't fully straighten out. It's because I've got nearly thirty pounds falling asleep on it every night!

But I love her, and that gives us cuddle time I wouldn't have if I didn't do it. Still, if we're blessed with another child in the future, I think I'll put that one down before they fall asleep and they can learn about all that self-soothing stuff all those books advise us about.

Back to two a.m. this morning. . . As soon as I was ready to go to bed ~ had the contact lenses out, the glasses were on, my teeth were brushed ~ the bulldog , Tonka, who sleeps with me and my husband, decided it was time for a potty break. Apparently I waited around for her to go outside and then come back in, but I don't remember much until I woke up at six this morning when my husband left for work. I reset the security alarm and went back to bed.

BIG mistake.

I woke up at seven. Super late for me! I jumped in the shower because I'd made a play date for Downey and I, and I was hoping to do my post first thing this morning and work on my manuscript.

Ahh, but my daughter had other plans.

She woke up at 7:44 and has been going ever since! She's sitting on top of my desk now, putting my hair in my face while she watches her Elmo DVD on the computer, while I try to type!

Back to our day ~ We met my friend, Therese, and her two children around 10:00. My friend's four year old niece was visiting so we had one more child to look after. The ages of the kiddies are 4, 3, 2 and 1. Therese's son is named Parker, it's his 3rd birthday today, and he loves Thomas the Train. I bought him a Steam Engine train and track. Therese and I spent the first two hours of our visit trying to figure out how to put the track together. We both have college degrees and consider ourselves to have common sense, but this track had us stumped for at least an hour. It took the two of us reading the directions, which didn't make sense, to finally get the two foot long track together. We didn't even try to figure out the water part for the steam engine part of it. Hopefully her husband can tackle that when he gets home from work.

Then we went to the park. It was good to get out of the house and let the kids run around. Unfortunately Parker started celebrating his birthday at four a.m this morning and was getting fussy at the park. However, we'd been there about an hour or longer so it was probably time to call it a day anyway.

Downey took a 25 minute nap in the car, so I assume she'll be rolling on some toddler rage of energy until about 10 or 11 tonight. After I stopped by McDonald's for our power food (yeah right), I got to planting flowers. I just came in from planting my Impatience in the backyard flower beds (I have some African Iris to plant in the front but I'm waiting for the sun to set a little). If the Impatience take off like they usually do, grow to about a foot high, I'll take a picture to share later in the summer.

Back in the fall, a neighbor shared some seeds from her Hibiscus blooms. In March, put them in four little pots of dirt and just about two weeks ago, two buds popped out of the dirt. I've planted one beside the deck and MUST get the other in the ground tonight or I'm afraid I'll lose it. The other two seedlings never sprouted. The blooms of the Hibiscus will either be pink or white. I'm hoping for the best on those, but this is the first time I've done this, so who knows how this experiment will go.

Now, it's off to the grocery store and I may go a little out of my way to grab a Dunkin' Donuts coffee which hopefully will sustain my energy until Downey collapses into her lovely toddler dreams tonight. I'm hoping I'll have energy to hit the computer and actually work on my manuscript, instead of checking email, figuring out my Shoutlife page, or updating something on my blogger page.

I hope you've gotten a little laugh out of my day and that you have a wonderful Friday. Or what's left of it by now :)


  1. Wow, you wore me out, Christy! I need to go to bed now to recover from reading about your day. :)

    As much as I hate to see my kids grow up so fast, I don't really miss the two and three-year old stage! LOL

    I'm sorry to hear about all the things you're having to deal with right now. I hope you'll feel a sense of peace soon. And I'll be praying for those who're sick.


  2. Thank you for your prayers, Missy.

    It was really a good day. A lot of fun. Poor Downey was worn out and trying to keep up with her playing this evening and kept stubbing her toes. What a way to get a child to wear shoes outside without a fight. LOL!

  3. I agree with Missy, Im tired......I understand the planting thing, I got everything today for my garden and plan to spend tomorrow reward is the golf ocurse by three if I get it all done !!! I have never been blessed with children but nearly raised a niece, we are bone tight, she will be 20 now in June. I sure miss those cuddling days and all of the time she had for me when she was young. Feel blessed that your left arm falls asleep !!!

    And by the way, since you dont have a demanding cousin, get your rear in gear to and go write !!!

  4. Cousin Wendy ~ I was wondering when you were going to stop by!

    You're right. One day Downey is going to look at me and say, Mom, I don't want to go there or do that with you! I have my friends, my job, my blah, blah. Talk to ya later ~ click. Then I'll look back on these days and smile.

    Okay, turning off blogger and going to open Word and Write!

  5. I wonder if there were some special reward, if Downey would look forward to going to bed on her own? I used to have to pat my daughter's diapered rear for hours. She's still difficult to get to bed, lol.